I spent some time this week trying Full Site Editing, FSE, in WordPress again.
I managed to get the default header removed but I couldn’t replace it with anything. I made a descent go of the post layouts though.
I was trying to use it to reproduce the current layout of this site with its post list and not much else.
What was most disappointing was that the page weight of what I did managed to get was nearly 1mb whereas this site is ~17kb. That is an amazing difference and really emphasizes so much of my frustration with similar no-code tools in general. Such waste is, in my opinion, a disservice to the web and a step in the wrong direction.
Hopefully, in a few years, the tool will mature and be more useful. For now, however, I’ll stick with the theme I have.