Why Are You Still In WordPress?

For today’s post I want to ask you a simple question…

Why are you still in WordPress?

I’ll go first:

I’m still in WordPress because I believe in the community. I’ve made a name for myself denouncing big tech and all the issues with social media and other areas where I could use my skills. WordPress still has parts that are like that.

Going back even further, a big part of why I didn’t mind leaving aviation is that it was a toxic industry. Right from my first semester in college I learned our chief pilot’s favorite saying was “if god wanted women to fly he would’ve painted the sky pink.” It was as disgusting to me then as it is to me now. Over the next 10 years I found this kind of behavior everywhere I went and it wasn’t just the sexism. Toxic attitudes were the norm, not the exception. That’s not to say there weren’t a lot of good people as well but, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t seem to find a path that I was comfortable with.

Tech, as we all know, isn’t always much better. I stick with WordPress because it was always the exception to that rule. It has been the community where I’ve felt at home and the community where I’ve heard so many say is the only place they’ve really been accepted.

Yeah, some of the tech in WordPress has been fun but, let’s face it, it isn’t modern. In addition I could’ve had better pay if I had gone to work for Google or some other company. I didn’t because the fancy tech and pay always seemed to cost more in other ways, than they returned.

So, why do I stay in WordPress?

It’s because of a community of people who are accepted for who they are and aren’t always in it for the “exit.”

It’s because I believe in open source tech and the principles of software that isn’t owned by a giant company out to take over the world.

It’s because it is the one place I’ve found where I can be myself and help others do the same.

Why are you still in WordPress?

9 Comments

  1. Thank you, brother, for all you do.

    You’re an inspiration to folks like me.

    Have a good Friday / Weekend.

  2. For many of the reasons you shared, especially for the fact that if you build a career in open source, it probably kind of spoils you for other industries. I feel like I don’t want to put up with the crap you mentioned, and even if I did, my resume probably wouldn’t be worth a salary outside of WordPress at this point.

  3. A “customer” here, but my footer says it every day: “Cheers to [WordPress and Plausible] for offering me peace of mind and giving me room to ponder about bigger things in my life.”

    It’s simple enough that it just works for my use cases, and it’s big enough that I can get help. Of course, being open source is a cherry on the top.

  4. The community is a big factor. I’ve met (in-person or online) so many great folks. Probably the only place I’ve ever felt truly accepted.

    But I also love that WP lets me do and be whatever I want. I don’t have to follow a specific path in my business or projects. It allows me to sink or swim on my own. I can’t see that level of independence in other places or industries.

    My hope is that the future continues to allow us to choose our own way.

  5. I got into WordPress out of necessity. Clients wanted websites, and I was tired of building them with static HTML and tables. This was 2007. I didn’t discover the community until 2010 but started to build my own by teaching WordPress classes locally. My community preceded WordPress via a group of local women designers but developing a local community around WordPress has been so lovely. Then getting to know more WP folks in the neighboring cities and out-of-state WordCamps to now meeting women around the world via co-hosting the Women in WP podcast.

    There is such a demand for web work, and the WordPress eco system allows me to do so much with or without the community. But the community helps me grow, learn new things, and makes it more fun. It’s all around a good place to land.

    I also like the flexibility of working for myself though that does get lonely, and I can be my own worse boss and employee. I miss being a part of a team though love the diversity of work I have. I’m never bored.

  6. I’m very close to not being in WordPress any more. 90% of my client sites are now ClassicPress, and I have migration plans for the other 10%. Over the years I’ve found the WordPress ‘community’ to be extremely toxic (especially the plugin repo support section) and blinkered to developer needs (i.e. Automattic). I’d go so far as to say that WordPress doesn’t have a community. It has sycophants.

  7. Like you, it’s the community that keeps me in WordPress. I’m using the product very little these days, in fact lately have been building my first site from scratch in at few years. But I love the community and look forward to finding a fit in WordCamps and meetups when that all resumes.

Leave a Reply